List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] System will busy AND STUCK for seconds during executing "smartctl.exe -a
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2012-03-20 20:33:33

Hi Davis,

thanks for the summary.

Meantime I could reproduce the problem on a Z68 board with the following
disks:
SAMSUNG HD501LJ
Hitachi HDS721010KLA330

Both have SMART READ DATA and/or SMART RETURN STATUS command durations
of ~0.1-0.2 seconds. Problem is most obvious during audio replay. The
good news is that this does not result in more serious consequences like
blue screen, hang, data loss or whatever.

Problem only occurs with 32 and 64-bit versions of
CSMI_SAS_STP_PASSTHRU. The standard IOCTL_ATA_PASS_THROUGH (/dev/sdX)
shows the same command durations but no problem.

It could also be reproduced using other (closed source) software with
Intel RAID support like HWiNFO64. So this is very likely an Intel driver
problem. I will try to contact Intel support.

Thanks,
Christian