List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] sat+cciss and seterc
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2012-03-18 17:38:05

Andrea Leofreddi wrote:
> Dear Smartmontools Team,
> I'm trying to set sct erc on a Samsung HM641JIs SATA drive (which
> individually, with a standard sata controller, does support seterc)
> behind a Smart Array p400 (cciss) controller and I'm obtaining:
>
> Warning: device does not support SCT (Get) Error Recovery Control command

This message is misleading. It is a firmware or driver limitation in
this case.
(http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/ticket/182)

> The same drive behind the same Smart Array p400 controller, queried
> via the -a flag, reports to support the SCT Error Recovery Control
> capability. I've attached the output of both smartctl -a and smartctl
> -l seterc commands.
>
> Any suggestion will be helpful, thanks a lot!

The debug output suggests that the SAT layer of this controller
firmware/driver does not support ATA return descriptor which contains
ATA output registers. This information is required for SMART RETURN
STATUS and SCT ERC GET commands. Both commands do not work with this
controller.

The command SCT ERC SET does not need ATA output registers, so "smartctl
-l scterc,70,70" may.

Related: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/ticket/202

Thanks,
Christian