List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    [smartmontools-support] email reports through nullmailer fail to
From:       smartmontools () proinbox ! com
Date:       2010-11-12 14:33:17

Hi all,

I have a server that uses nullmailer to relay root's mail out to a
smarthost.

Messages from mdadm to root can be sent without a problem, but not so
with smartd.

This is what I see in syslog after smartd tries to send:
smartd[4717]: Executing test of mail to root ...
smartd[4717]: Test of mail to root produced unexpected output (20 bytes)
to STDOUT/STDERR: #012sh: mail: not found#012
smartd[4717]: Test of mail to root: failed (32-bit/8-bit exit status:
32512/127)

...Whereas when mdadm sends it looks like this:
nullmailer[1502]: Trigger pulled.
nullmailer[1502]: Rescanning queue.
nullmailer[1502]: Starting delivery: protocol: smtp host: sub.domain.com
file: 1289568895.4704
nullmailer[4706]: smtp: Succeeded: 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 36A595E4384
nullmailer[1502]: Sent file.
nullmailer[1502]: Delivery complete, 0 message(s) remain.

In this case both recipients are simply 'root', although I tried
explicitly defining the email nullmailer relays to and got the same
error.

I don't want to have to install anymore than is absolutely necessary
onto this server, and would prefer to have smartd use the same mail
method as mdadm, which only requires this tiny nullmailer app.

What's smartd doing and how can I fix this?

Thanks.

-C