List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] Support for WD20EARS
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2010-09-26 16:53:25

Harald Schneider wrote:
> Hello,
> I tried reading the S.M.A.R.T. status from a WD20EARS, which is attached via a \
> TrekStor DataStation maxi g.u and USB to Windows 7. Something seems to be \
> unsupported in this constellation, I get the following outputs. Is there any way to \
> get the S.M.A.R.T. data from this harddrive? Or will there be a new version that \
> supports this? As there are still not a lot of 2 TB drives out there, support for \
> this would be greatly appreciated.

Did it work with another disk in the same USB enclosure?
Did you try to read SMART data from this disk when connected to another
SATA controller?

> Best regards,
> Harald
>

> From GSmartControl:
>
> smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i686-pc-mingw32-win7(64)] (sf-win32-5.39.1-1)
> Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Device Model:     WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
> Serial Number:    WD-WCAZA0862662
> Firmware Version: 51.0AB51
> User Capacity:    2.000.398.934.016 bytes
> Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
> ATA Version is:   8
> ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
> Local Time is:    Wed Sep 22 13:58:33 2010 MS
> SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
> SMART support is: Enabled
>
> Error SMART Status command failed
> Please get assistance from http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
> A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T \
> permissive' options.

The ATA output registers from SMART STATUS command are not properly
returned to smartctl. The root of the problem might be the USB bridge or
bad SCSI sense data returned by the OS.

Reading the rest of the data might work if '-T permissive' is added.

Please test whether this works when smartctl is run from a linux live
CD. This helps to test whether this is a windows specific issue. I would
recommend Parted Magic (has GSmartControl on desktop, also on UBCD) or grml:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/Download#ListofbootableCDs

> And from command line:
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\GSmartControl>smartctl -a /dev/hdf

Use /dev/sdf or /dev/pd6 to enable device type detection (/dev can be
ommitted).

Run 'smartctl -d test pd6' to show which USB bridge type is detected.

> smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i686-pc-mingw32-win7(64)] (sf-win32-5.39.1-1)
> Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
>
> === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
> Device Model:     DS maxi g.u
> Serial Number:    [No Information Found]
> Firmware Version: 100
> Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
> [...]

The above is likely not run with full admin rights. You need to start
cmd.exe as administrator first.

Thanks,
Christian