List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] Silent automatic install
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2009-08-08 11:00:24

James Griffith wrote:
> I'm trying to automatically install smartmontools I found 1 site that
> says they have the script to install it silently and automatically, but
> I am unable to find much other than a /S, but I want to install the
> service, and start the service, what would I need to run to do that?

The /S is the silent install option of the NSIS installer used by the
Win32 version of smartmontools.
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Docs/Chapter3.html#3.2

The installer does not install smartd as a service.

The following should work to do a silent install including smartd
service. Smartd logs to smartd.log in 10min intervals. Service start is
set to automatic:

  \PATH_TO_INSTALLER\smartmontools-VERSION.win32-setup /S

  %ProgramFiles%\smartmontools\bin\smartd install -i 600 -l local0

  sc config smartd start= auto

  sc start smartd

The command 'sc qc smartd' and 'sc query smartd' can be used to check
service configuration and status.

Cheers,
Christian