List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    [smartmontools-support] MegaRAID: Rejecting SMART/ATA command to
From:       Tim Small <tim () buttersideup ! com>
Date:       2009-05-07 8:54:03

Hello,

I'm using smartmontools CVS head with a couple of SATA drives behind a
Dell PERC 6/i (fw v.1.21, I think from dmesg).

I get the following output when running the smartctl command:

db-a~# /root/smartctl -a /dev/sg1 -d megaraid,1
smartctl 5.39 2009-05-03 13:39 [x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-9 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Creating /dev/megaraid_sas_ioctl_node = 17
Got MegaRAID inquiry.. ATA     WDC WD5002ABYS-13B04
/dev/sg1 [megaraid_disk_01] [SAT]: Device open changed type from
'megaraid' to 'sat'
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital RE3 Serial ATA family
Device Model:     WDC WD5002ABYS-18B1B0
Serial Number:    WD-WCASY4330341
Firmware Version: 02.03B04
User Capacity:    500,107,862,016 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Thu May  7 09:45:27 2009 BST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

Rejecting SMART/ATA command to controller
Rejecting SMART/ATA command to controller
Error SMART Status command failed
Please get assistance from http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more
'-T permissive' options.

I'm assuming that this is a controller limitation, and if I give '-T
permissive', I still appear to be able to read the SMART counters, and
error logs.  If this is the case, I suppose it'd be nice if the smartctl
command worked-around the restrictions that the controller card places
on it?

Thanks,

Tim.