List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] Problems with two broken disks
Date:       2008-12-03 16:38:48

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 16:23, Jeremy James <jbj@forbidden.co.uk> wrote:
> Justin Piszcz wrote:

>>  What others may also mention is dd_rescue but I have not tried that
>> myself.
>
> Indeed. dd_rescue is a great tool for this to skip over bad sectors.

I am using it atm. Seems to be exactly what I wanted. Thanks :)

> I'm assuming linux/md RAID - if you're on a hardware card then the
> procedure should be similar, although more care might be needed around
> the relevant equivalent to a superblock.

It was a hardware RAID. Thankfully, it was a mirrored one, so I am
relatively fine. Once I know how much extra fat the 3ware controller
added to the beginning of the disks, I will trim that off of the images
I created and run normal recovery tools on it.
I will treat both images idendently, as if there never was any RAID.
That's probably the easiest thing to do.

In related news, what should I use to restore data from NTFS partitions
in whatever NTFS version Win Server 2003 uses? My expertise with
Windows is rather limited, I fear.

Richard