List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    [smartmontools-support] how are attribute ids mapped to attribute
From:       "Grove, Michael" <mike.grove () hp ! com>
Date:       2008-09-11 17:33:03

Smartmon gurus,

I've been playing with smartmon, and am curious to know how the attribute IDs (e.g. \
'1') are mapped to attribute names (e.g. 'Raw_Read_Error_Rate').  From reading the \
FAQ entry at http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/faq.html#FAQ-database I can tell \
that there is a database that performs this mapping based on the drive, and that the \
database is updated by users running smartctl with specific flags against their \
drives and mailing the output to the smartmon developers.  I know that one of the \
challenges with SMART is that the attribute IDs aren't standardized (although some \
lists exist, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis,_and_Reporting_Technology) \
and different vendors can use the same attribute IDs for different purposes.  That \
makes me wonder if the text description for an attribute ID is available in some \
fashion through SMART interfaces (e.g. Windows' MSStorageDriver_FailurePredictData \
WBEM class).  Is that the case, or is there something else avai  lable in the SMART \
data structures that enables one to map attribute IDs to meaningful names?

A related question is how the raw values are interpreted in a drive specific way.  \
E.g. the wikipedia entry on SMART (from above) indicates that Power on Hours \
(attribute id 9) has a raw value in hours, minutes, or seconds depending on the \
manufacturer.  Does smartmon display the RAW_VALUE differently based on its analysis \
of whether hours, minutes, or seconds are used?  Is this unit information stored in \
SMART data structures?

Thanks.

-mike