List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] 4294967295 Offline uncorrectable sectors
From:       "Manfred Schwarb" <manfred99 () gmx ! ch>
Date:       2007-01-09 23:07:51

> It is now clear to me that the "4294967295" is the raw value and that the
> effective number of bad sectors is 1?

No, that's not clear at all, not only the raw values, also the normalized
values of Current_Pending_Sector and Offline_Uncorrectable are odd.
This looks very fishy, maybe a firmware flaw.
Perhaps you can ask Seagate support for clarification and report back?

> How can i know whether this sector is still bad or whether it is
> reallocated
> (i see that Reallocated_Sector_Ct is 98, does this mean that 100-98=2
> sectors
> have been reallocated)?

No, the "98" is the normalized number, which is quite meaningless.
You have to look at the raw value, which is "90". 90 reallocated
sectors are quite a lot. It may be that Seagate's disks are much more
"keen" on reallocating sectors than other brands, nevertheless it's
really a lot. Personally I thow disks away with more than a few
handful's of bad sectors (i.e. <10-20 or so), or try RMA'ing the disk.
If other items look fishy as well, my disks even fly much earlier.
Disks are cheap, live is short.

regards,
Manfred