List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    [smartmontools-support] SMART Prefailure Attribute: 7
From:       "Peteris Krumins [Newsgroups]" <pknewsgroups () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-27 11:43:24

 Hello!

 I have a file server with two identical hard drives ( WDC WD800JB )
bought on the same day.
 Never experienced any problems with the drives when suddenly I started
getting strange warning messages a few weeks ago:

 Aug  1 17:01:13 graviton smartd[166]: Device: /dev/hdb, SMART
Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 200 to 100
 Aug  1 17:31:13 graviton smartd[166]: Device: /dev/hdc, SMART
Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 200 to 100
 Aug  2 04:31:13 graviton smartd[166]: Device: /dev/hdc, SMART
Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 100 to 200
 Aug  2 05:01:13 graviton smartd[166]: Device: /dev/hdb, SMART
Prefailure Attribute: 7 Seek_Error_Rate changed from 100 to 200
 ... repeats tens of times with a few hour interval ...

 The drives are /dev/hdc and /dev/hdb. Notice how they both report the
same warning message.

 These are not the only warning messages I get:
 I have scheduled short Self-Test every day at 4am and a long test once
a week at 5am.
 Aug  4 04:01:13 graviton smartd[166]: Device: /dev/hdb, skip scheduled
Short Self-Test; 90% remaining of current Self-Test.
 Aug  4 04:01:14 graviton smartd[166]: Device: /dev/hdc, skip scheduled
Short Self-Test; 90% remaining of current Self-Test.

 And this message repeats every night at 4am and once a week at 5am, at
the scheduled test times.
 The messages make me think that the Self-Test is stalled. Also notice
that again both drives report the same thing.

 Any ideas what's going on?!

 Using smartd version 5.30.

 PS. Please include my mail in your reply because I am not subscribed to
the mailing list. Thank you.

P.Krumins