List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support] smartctl -n ?
From:       Christian Franke <Christian.Franke () t-online ! de>
Date:       2006-08-21 19:43:48

Holger wrote:

> #1)
> is there any way of getting the "smartd -n" behavior in smartctl?
>
> More specifically, I do NOT want smartctl to spin up the disk when it's
> not spinning.

An "-n" option was added to smartctl 2006-07-20.

It is not included in 5.36, you have to build smartmontools from CVS.
A download Link for recent Windows releases can be found here
http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/#WindowsInstall

> #2)
> is there a way of "querying" the power state of a given disk?
> I mean... this functionality is obviously implemented in smartd, but it
> doesn't seem to be "visible"....

You can use "smartctl -n idle -i ..." to print the power state.

Cheers,

Christian