List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support]
From:       mk-lists () email ! de
Date:       2006-07-13 22:47:49

Hi Jim,

I had and have similar problems with two of my SAMSUNG drives. It seems to be a \
peculiarity of SAMSUNG that such SMART errors exist without actually causing trouble \
during selftests. One of my drives works actually without trouble, badblocks not \
failing, SAMSUNG tools showing nothing. The other drive does show read errors from \
time to time. Overwriting the affected blocks doesn't change anything. It's weird. \
But it's SAMSUNG, I guess.

I would recommend exchanging the drive in case you do see read or write errors with \
badblocks or the SAMSUNG test tool. If the latter is not the case you might be lucky! \
SAMSUNG actually wrote to me once that such errors could appear due to a incompatible \
BIOS... [This was a response to my drive which actually showed real read errors \
during operation, so I don't believe this... :) [

A proper backup strategy is they key!

Good luck,
Marko