List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support]20% of selftest and...
From:       Volker Kuhlmann <list0570 () paradise ! net ! nz>
Date:       2005-06-07 23:26:09

> I'm still having some SMART issues with that dying or just bugging 300gb
> Maxtor,

> again or not, started long self-test twice today, but it won't finish. Now,
> after 8 hrs of second test running smartctl -a shows

I have the same problem with a 15GB Maxtor. The firmware seems to be
badly done, as in the long (or short!) test doesn't give up on some
sectors and never finishes. Obviously Maxtor hasn't learnt how to fix it
yet. Or they don't consider it worthwhile, since the drive is a
paperweight anyway.

I kept on stopping the short selftest, supposed to take 2 minutes, after
6 hours of continuous head thrashing. In some situations (number of bad
blocks? who knows) the integrated tests simply fail to do anything
useful. My drive has 318 reallocated sectors, this hasn't increased in
10 months and for that period it has been reliable, apart from the self
tests being useless. I only run the offline data collection now. Still,
drives like these are stuffed and I don't store anything valuable on it.
Call it a fun exercise.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.