List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support]Incorrect output from smartctl, or bad drive(s)?
From:       Volker Kuhlmann <list0570 () paradise ! net ! nz>
Date:       2005-06-07 5:28:01

> pulled it.  On thing I noted is that it had quite large numbers in the
> Raw_Read_Error_Rate and Seek_Error_Rate fields, and I had been told this
> was indicative of a major problem.

Some drives show huge values for Raw_Read_Error_Rate and
Hardware_ECC_Recovered, this is normal. It only becomes meaningful once
it's normalised, which the drive does internally by some formula it only
knows itself. This is my understanding anyway. Not sure about
Seek_Error_Rate.

Your most important values are Reallocated_Sector_Ct,
Current_Pending_Sector, Offline_Uncorrectable. They should read 0. Some
number for Reallocated_Sector_Ct is acceptable, let's say 1 per month of
age, though there'll always be argument about this. One supplier told me
drives will be replaced if they show any reallocated sector during the
warranty period.

UDMA_CRC_Error_Count indicates problems with the cabling and/or IDE /
drive electronics.

Power_On_Hours, Power_Cycle_Count are only informative, so is
Temperature_Celsius though if it shows 80°C you know you have a big
problem.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.