List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support]Windows 98 SE - Disk not found
From:       Christian.Franke () t-online ! de (Christian Franke)
Date:       2004-12-13 6:48:10

>Although I have moved smartvsd.vxd to
>\windows\system\iosubsys I get the error message:
>
>Cannot open device \\.\SMARTVSD, Error=2
>Smartctl open device: hda failed: No such file or
>directory
>
>What shall I do?

smartvsd.vxd does not load for some reason. This happens if no ATA
drives are present or the standard IDE port driver (ESDI_506.pdr) is not
used.

Do you use an onboard ATA/SATA RAID controller for your disk?

Otherwise open "Driver File Details" of primary/secondary IDE Controller
in Device Manager.
Is ESDI_506.pdr listed there?

Christian