List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    [smartmontools-support]Re: Accessing SMART from Perl on 3ware Escalade 8506-8
From:       Bruce Allen <ballen () gravity ! phys ! uwm ! edu>
Date:       2004-06-04 16:06:21

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, J. Lujan wrote:

> First, I have a 3ware Escalade 8506-8 raid controller with 4 Seagate
> ST3200822AS SATA drives connected to it. The system is Fedora Core 2 -
> x86-64 running on a Tyan K8S Pro. smartmontools works fine on these
> drives and controller, I will email the smartctl output to the database
> address.

OK, thanks.

Please copy correspondence on the topic below to the smartmontools mailing
list.

> Second, I am contacting you because I was wondering how you found the
> ioctl commands to access the smart data on drives attached to 3ware
> cards. I read somewhere that some one at 3ware sent you an example. Can
> you send me the example you received?

I'm afraid that I haven't got it anymore.

> My attempts to acquire it from them have lead to no response. I would
> like to access the SMART data from a perl script using perls ioctl
> commands and I don't know enough C to look at smartmontools source and
> figure out what you did to access the 3ware ioctl functions.

The example that I was given was in C anyway.  So I think that you can't
avoid learning enough C to read the smartmontools source.  Once you are at
this point, you should be able to get what you need by looking at the
function escalade_command_interface() in os_linux.c.

> I would of course share the perl script I come up with to the
> community.

Thank you!

Bruce