List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support]FOLLOWUP: WD 1200JB-00FUA0 now with
From:       Bruce Allen <ballen () gravity ! phys ! uwm ! edu>
Date:       2004-06-01 16:42:49

> OK.  Just FYI, I tried the Linux-BBC bootable CD and it didn't appear
> to have smartmontools available.

Interesting.  I've seen an obscure comment on the web suggesting it was in
the 'arch' package (whatever that it).

> > > 2)  Attribute 194 was displayed with the same
> > values I found via the
> > > 3ware CLI SMART dump
> >
> > OK, then it's almost certainly temperature.
>
> Great news.
>
> > > 4)  The first value is 150 - the raw value.
> >
> > This is a common way of converting temperature to a
> > normalized value.
> > What's the (normalized) failure threshold value, and
> > the corresponding
> > failure temperature (in Celsuis)?
>
> I can't really boot back into the livecd, so here's
> what the 3ware dump shows for attribute 0xC2: 6F FD 27

The threshold's not in this data structure. You probably can't see it with
3ware CLI.  So you'll need to try the CD again.

But its probably irrelevant if you just want to monitor the temperature.

> This means (according to my docs) that the normalized
> temperature is 0x6F, the threshold is 0xFD, and the
> raw data (real temp) is 0x27 (which, incidentally, is
> 0x96 - 0x6F).
>
> Now, the threshold value confuses me.  It doesn't make
> sense as a failure point for the raw data, since 0xFD
> is 253C, which probably means the case is on fire, but
> since the normalized value decreases as the
> temperature increases, I don't know whether it makes
> sense for that either.  (Even if you treat it as a
> -2, in which case the temperature would be 0x98C,
> which is 152C, which is still too hot.)  The operating
> range for this drive is 5C to 55C.

If the operating range is 5 to 55, and normalized = 150 - raw, then I
expect that the normalized failure threshold is 95 = 150 - 55.

Cheers,
	Bruce