List:       smartmontools-support
Subject:    Re: [smartmontools-support]cygwin: "smartctl -s on" killed 160 GByte
From:       Christian.Franke () t-online ! de (Christian Franke)
Date:       2004-05-20 18:55:55

>>I tried to connect the disks to several (~8) different PCs.
>>Surprisingly, the BIOS of some old PIII detected the 60Gb disk.
>>

>Maybe this is not so surprising. The BIOS of the old PIII probably didn't
>check the SMART status of the disk.  Many modern BIOSes check the SMART
>status of the disk, and ignore the disk if the SMART status is "FAILING".

Does the BIOS really ignore the disk? It should at least display the
disk model and an error message.

At least on one of the PCs used, the SMART check was disabled. I later
tested this disk with Maxtor's PowerMax which does not depend on BIOS.
It detects the 60Gb disk only on this PC. Mysterious....

>This can usually be disabled in the BIOS settings, but it's often hard to
>find the correct sub-sub-sub menu in the BIOS GUI.

Yes, and if we are really lucky, BIOS documentation tells us, that SMART
can be enabled or disabled. On a recent ASUS A7N8X Board, I didn't find
any SMART setting in BIOS. Is SMART checking missing or always enabled?

Cheers

Christian