List:       smartmontools-database
Subject:    Re: [Smartmontools-database]Seagate ST317242A results
From:       Bruce Allen <ballen () gravity ! phys ! uwm ! edu>
Date:       2004-05-20 9:50:21

> Attached is the results from a Seagate ST317242A which is not in the
> current database.

Tom, the VERY large number of ICRC (Interface Cyclic Redundancy Code)
errors that your disk is showing are an indication of some type of cabling
problem.  It appears that the disk is 37000 hours old (almost five years!)
and that these problems last occured when the disk was 7000 hours old (at
least four years ago) so probably they have been fixed.  But sometimes the
hour timestamps in the firmware are buggy, so you should monitor the error
log and Attribute 199's raw value to confirm that no new ICRC errors are
taking place.  If additional ICRC errors occur I suggest that you replug
or change the data cable to the disk. it.

Cheers,
	Bruce