List:       slony1-general
Subject:    Re: [Slony1-general] Replication severely delayed - question about
From:       "Andrew Hammond" <andrew.george.hammond () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-04-04 23:40:01

On 4/4/07, Andrew Edson <cheighlund@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the dev systems I've been working on.  I've been
> waiting for a few hours for the database replication to complete a
> transaction, which it still hasn't done; a similar transaction earlier today
> took about half an hour to finish.  The systems in question are running SuSE
> 9.3, Postgres 8.1.3, and Slony 1.1.5.

You might consider upgrading to latest minor revisions once you've got
this issue sorted.

> I took a look at the ps ax output,

On the origin or on the replica? I'm guessing it was the replica...

> and I noticed something next to the
> postgres entries: All of them except the last are listed as 'idle', while
> the last one is listed as 'idle in transaction'.

Did it occur to you to google the slony.info site for "IDLE in
transaction"? I know that the following pulls up a exactly one hit

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aslony.info+%22IDLE+in+transaction%22

which is pretty big, but if you use search within the page you'll find
at least one entry that's pretty darn relevant to the subject of "IDLE
in transaction" and slony.

>  Exactly what does it mean for a running program to be idle?

It's connected to the database but not doing anything.

>  Is there likely to be some kind of
> deadlock condition that's preventing the replication from finishing?

Possibly. Did you check for locks?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Awww.postgresql.org+locks

Second and third links are pretty informative.

> Or is there something else I should be doing to get the system to work?

I'd start with the test_slony_state tool. What does it tell you?

Andrew