List:       slony1-general
Subject:    Re: [Slony1-general] Postgres Upgrade from 8.0.3 to 8.1.3 is  SLOW
From:       Jacques Caron <jc () oxado ! com>
Date:       2006-04-21 17:41:51

Hi,

At 22:52 20/04/2006, Pallav Kalva wrote:
>NOTICE:  truncate of "listing"."address" failed - doing delete
[...]

>This is still trying to sync up listing.address table from past 4 hours,
>this table has around 5 million records.
>
>   From the log it tells me that it is either truncating/deleting each
>and every table and inserting data back into the tables using the COPY
>data from the Master node.
>
>   Is this the expected behavior ?

Yes.

>  I was under the impression that it
>would just insert the Delta (one week data from) records for each table,
>instead of deleting and reinserting the whole data ?

How would it now the start point of the delta?

>   If this is the case I dont know how many days/weeks/months it would
>take to catch up.

Actually, the whole COPY process is not that slow, though starting
with an empty schema is definitely a lot better, especially when it
can't truncate (since the whole initial replication is done in a
transaction, there can be no VACUUM between the DELETE and the COPY,
so the table ends up being twice as big as it should be...).

Note also that there is a tiny bug in 1.1.5 that prevents the delayed
index reconstruction from being used when it needs to delete instead
of truncating the tables. You might want to take a look at:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/pipermail/slony1-general/2006-January/003729.html

Hope that helps,

Jacques.