List:       slony1-general
Subject:    Re: [Slony1-general] Switch and Failover
From:       Christopher Browne <cbbrowne () ca ! afilias ! info>
Date:       2005-11-24 22:28:48

Stephan Fischer wrote:

> I found much information about SWITCH and FAILOVER in the slony-I-failover.txt. But \
> I didn't found anything about how to install or rebuild a new slave??
> I got a "normal" Master-Slave-System. There a some problems with the master-server, \
> I have to make a "createdb". So I switched the role of the servers like it is \
> explainend in the slony-I-failover.txt.
> And now??
>
> I stop SLON and make dropdb MYDB. After that I create an new db with creatdb and \
> createlang. Now I can copy the schema of my db to the new slave. (pg_dump --schema \
> xxx)
> But how do i tell him about the slony-set?
> When I can start slon() again?

I'll answer the question by asking one, hopefully...

How did you install slave nodes in the first place?

The usual answer:  Submitted slonik commands STORE NODE, to create the
node, then STORE PATH to establish communications, then start a slon for
the node, then SUBSCRIBE SET to subscribe to some replication set.

Well, those are the steps to install any new node.

I have added this to the "HOWTO Do Stuff" list...
<http://slony-wiki.dbitech.ca/index.php/Howto/addnode>