List:       slony1-general
Subject:    [Slony1-general] New Test Bed
From:       Christopher Browne <cbbrowne () ca ! afilias ! info>
Date:       2005-11-15 19:56:17

elein wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 11:01:19AM -0500, Christopher Browne wrote:
>

>>Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>>>I suspect volunteers are welcome!  That is, AFAIK nobody has even
>>>approached the buildfarm people over this.  And it would require some
>>>significant integration work; which is, I'd say, why it hasn't been
>>>done yet.  There are several automated tests in the source tree, as
>>>well; but I'm not sure they're complete regression tests.  So are you
>>>volunteering to do (some of) the work?
>>>

>>I have been working on getting more tests into the "new generation test
>>framework."
>>

>I am looking forward to the commitment of these changes.  I would like
>to be able to design and throw in several scenarios with and
>without expected errors.
>
>--elein

They are committed to HEAD, this morning...

- I have "sanded down" some portability issues; it was just a little bit
BSD-specific; should be more OS-agnostic now...
- Test #1 now tests out a bunch of weird table / sequence / schema names
so we'll notice regressions of those sorts pretty immediately
- Test #1 has a UTF8 table; it needs a bit more test data to deal with
possible pathologies, but tests both what's in the table at subscription
time and data that gets replicated

Test #2 wasn't quite a "completed" test, I think; there's definite room
to add scenarios.

There is some documentation; look for "testbed.sgml" in the admin guide.

There's plenty of room for additional tests and improvements; there are
about 15 scripts in the "ducttape" directory, and we should surely get
tests for their conditions into /tests.

Based on some recent comments on #slony, I'll be splitting apart my
tests into a whole bunch more...