List:       slide-user
Subject:    Re: Security Configuration
From:       "Remy Maucherat" <remm () apache ! org>
Date:       2001-02-23 19:15:09

> Hello,
>  I have tomcat3.2.1 with slide1.0m7
>  Without any modification, I got the following warning when I try to
create
> a new subfolder under files
> 23 Feb 2001 10:42:54 - WARNING - Access denied on /files by user
> /users/guest for action /actions/write
> 23 Feb 2001 10:42:54 - WARNING - Forbidden Forbidden
> 23 Feb 2001 10:42:54 - INFO - MKCOL (time: 62 ms) URI = /files/New Folder
>
>  If I go to web.xml  and uncomment the security constraint part. Then I am
> prompted for login when access the webfolder. However, Neither root/root
nor
> john/john work for the login.
>  Any suggestions for configuring slide security?

The users are configured in conf/tomcat-users.xml (if you're using Tomcat).

By default it looks like that :

<tomcat-users>
  <user name="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat" />
  <user name="role1"  password="tomcat" roles="role1"  />
  <user name="both"   password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1" />
</tomcat-users>

You need to add either a user "john", or a user "root" (or both).

There is a way to avoid having users defined in two different places using
Tomcat 4 and the SlideRealm. However, it's a bit complex to use, and the TC
4 directory structure has just been modified (but that will make the realm
easier to use). I'll add detailed instructions to set it up soon on the
Tomcat-Howto page on the website.

All this is done so that by default nobody has write access.

Remy