List:       slide-user
Subject:    Re: Inherited field in permissions table
From:       Michael Smith <msmith () speedlegal ! com>
Date:       2003-04-29 5:08:35

Wong Kam Lai wrote:
> When I add a permission, I first create a Ace object by
>
>  ace=new Ace(principal,negative,protect,inherited,null);
> where, except prinicpal, all are 'false'
> However, after running webdavResource.aclMethod(path, aces);
> Mysql database has updated with the request permission but the inherited
> field is set to 'true', Before running this statement, I've make sure that
> every aces[i] has set inherited to false. How can I really insert the
> permission with inherited set to false?

You cannot do this through webdav. The webdav ACL specification has many
severe limitations - though it's quite powerful for querying existing
ACLs, it's extremely limited in how you can specify ACLs to set in the
ACL method. Slide chooses to make all ACEs set through this method
inheritable, since there's no way for the client to specify the desired
ACL semantics for this sort of thing.

Your only option is to write some java code (possibly as a servlet -
it's your choice) that uses the slide low-level API to set the ACL you want.

Mike