List:       slide-user
Subject:    RE: Message for James Higginbotham
From:       "James Higginbotham" <jhigginbotham () betweenmarkets ! com>
Date:       2003-04-14 22:03:06

Ok.. Here is the approach I'm taking as a background:

I want to be able to manage a web site via Slide. Webdav is a nicety,
but I really just need versioned content management ala CVS, but with a
nice Java interface (and no personal sandboxes to maintain on the
server). I use the Slide low-level API to read and sometime writes, but
for more complicated things I generally make an HTTP call (yuck) to have
Slide make sure that the state of the server is webdav accessible (in
case I need to do admin work that isn't part of the web UI yet). So, I
have a web interface that uses Struts, Tiles, Display Tag, and
Slide/Struts taglib for interacting with the Slide kernel on JBoss +
Tomcat. I invoke all requests via a Struts action, such that I am
utilizing the Model 2 architecture pattern. Actually, my project is a
great example of what you can do with just open source software.

With that, I implemented browsing with the following setup:

I have my browser action take a path to the collection resource to view,
and push that into a request form bean. From there, I use a combination
of a slide taglib call, the display taglib for table display, and some
display tag decorators to render the listing for the requested path.
Each listing is a link to the same action with the new path desired. So,
if you have the following tree:

/
  /stuff
     /morestuff

I can show a webpage with the listing of / with:

browser.do?path=/

That would render:

/stuff

Which would be a link to browser.do?path=/stuff

And so on..

HTH,
James