List:       slide-user
Subject:    Using a custom security implementation
From:       "Weaver, Scott" <Sweaver () rippe ! com>
Date:       2002-10-17 15:57:53

Hi All,

I have searched the archives regarding implementation of custom security, but came up \
with no real answers.   I'm using the 1.0.16 dist of Slide.

Since there is really no documentation on this, I have started looking at the code.  \
I have only started working with Slide today, so please bear with me. ;)

What I have come up is that the Security implementation is retrieved through the \
NamespaceAccessToken whose concrete implementation is NamespaceAccessTokenImpl.  \
NamespaceAccessTokenImpl creates an instance of the SecurityImpl, which is the \
concrete implementation of Security.  This value is hard coded into \
NamespaceAccessTokenImpl and is not privy to change through any type of configuration \
that I can see.

So the approach I would have to take to implement custom Security is:

1. Create a new implementation of NamespaceAccessToken and Security.
2. Have the NamespaceAccessToken .getSecurityHelper() method return an instance of my \
custom implementation of Security either hard-coded or more preferably read from a \
configuration file. 3. I will also have to create a new Domain commodity class that \
creates my version NamespaceAccessToken instead NamespaceAccessTokenImpl.  This is \
done due to the fact that NamespaceAccessTokenImpl is also hard-coded in the Domain \
class.

Does this sound right?

And if I may beg the question.  Why is there some much hard-coding?  Is there a more \
recent version of Slide that does support custom Security in a more configurable \
manner?

p.s.

What I am trying to accomplish is integrating Slide seamlessly into Jetspeed's \
security framework.

Thanks,
Scott