List:       slide-dev
Subject:    Re: Nomination for Committer
From:       Roland Weber <ossfwot () dubioso ! net>
Date:       2007-10-01 17:08:28

Hello Ollie,

Michael Oliver wrote:
> I would like to nominate two outstanding developers from IBM that would
> like to contribute to Slide.  Rafael Coss and Zeus Courtois.

The usual process for becoming an Apache committer is to provide patches
on a regular basis, that get reviewed and committed by the current
committers. The purpose of this proceeding is not only to ensure the
quality of the code, but also to familiarize the potential committers
with the community ways of developing code, and to ensure they are in
there for the long run.
I'm not following this list long enough to judge your candidate's coding
merits. But there has been a lot of silence around here lately, which is
not typically a sign that there are potential committers lining up.
I would therefore suggest that you wait with the nomination until the
Slide development has picked up some speed again, and the candidates
have shown their continued interest in contributing.

> In essence they already have because they have written a DB2 pureXML
> adapter for Slide which I am useing and have reviewed,[...]
> I am sure of not only the quality of their work but the dedication to
> Slide that was needed for them to write that adapter.

Please understand that the committer status is not a title of honour
somebody gets for contributing one piece of code, no matter how excellent
and outstanding it is. The committer status is primarily a technical
thing: you get write access to the source repository. It is merited by
long-term involvement in the community, and by regular code contributions.
A person who does not contribute patches on a regular basis does not
need write access to the source repository.

There are other ways to recognize outstanding contributions. For example,
at HttpComponents we have lists of contributors on the public web page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/team-list.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/httpclient-3.x/team-list.html

cheers,
  Roland