List:       slide-dev
Subject:    Re: WebDAV Notifications
From:       "Daniel Florey" <daniel.florey () web ! de>
Date:       2005-03-18 9:09:33

08:41:58:

> Hi guys,
>
> I was wondering what the state of the notification code is.  I have
> started using Slide and I love it, but I am having difficulty working with
> it in its current form.
>
> Is the notification code being actively maintained?  I can see the
> following problems with it at the moment:

I've implemented the code some time ago (server part and notificationListener-class) \
so if you have any concerns just let me know. I'm very busy at the moment and don't \
have stable internet access, but I'll try to fix any upcoming issues.

> * HTTP notifications seem to be broken.  Now I'm new to the code so I
> might tbe doing it wrong, but only some notifications come through, and
> the first notification I receive seems to stop all subsequent
> notifications from coming through at the server level.

I've used them for a long time and it worked fine.

> * There seems to be two different way of subscribing to resources, and
> they don't quite complement each other.
> - Through WebdavResource.subscribe()

This one is not supported (by me), so don't use the WebdavResources methods if you \
want me to help you out ;-)

> - Through NotificationListener.subscribe()
>
> * The code in org.apache.webdav.lib.methods.PollMethod.parseResponse()
> seems to have an error in it.  It uses the code:
>
> this.subscriptionsWithEvents.add(Integer.getInteger(id));
>
> The problem is that Integer.getInteger(String) does not parse a String
> into an Integer.  It looks up a system property with the specified name,
> and parses that to return an Integer.  Obviously this will never return
> anything other than null.  It should be like this instead:
>
> this.subscriptionsWithEvents.add(new Integer(id));

This really looks like a bug. I will have a look at it as soon as I have access to \
the sources again...

> I suppose my main question is: How stable is the WebDAV Notification code
> at the moment?  Should I start hacking around and submitting patches, or
> should I speak to the person that is developing these features?
>
> Any help would be appreciated

Mails like this one are appreciated! If there are any issues, just let's fix them.