List:       slide-dev
Subject:    Re: permissions problem
From:       Brian Moseley <bcm () osafoundation ! org>
Date:       2005-03-17 20:28:17

James Mason wrote:
> I think this is related to an issue where the owner property of a file
> is not set until after the resource is created. So when ACLSecurityImpl
> checks an inherited "owner has write" permission, no one is the owner
> yet.

i think the problem is one step before that. when ACLSecurityImpl tries
to retrieve the revision descriptor for the resource, which happens
before checking the resource's owner, an exception is thrown since the
resource hasn't yet been created.

perhaps i don't understand the permission inheritance model, but my
expectation was that if the owner has an inherited write permission on
the parent collection, he would automatically have permission to write
any resources within the collection. that doesn't seem to be the wa
things work tho :)

> It seems like a simple bug, but I haven't come up with a good way to fix
> the design, so it would probably have to be a special case in the code
> (and I think that's just ugly). Also, I think owner-only write
> permissions aren't very common, so no one's gotten itchy enough yet to
> scratch at it.

yeah, i'm not really sure what to do about it. i don't have enough a
feeling for the design of this component (or for Slide's security
framework in general) to propose a solution without a lot more study.