List:       sleuthkit-users
Subject:    Re: [sleuthkit-users] Doubt............ when revocer...?????
From:       Simson Garfinkel <simsong () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-10-23 18:52:09

Robert-Jan,

Agreed. I remember when I was a freshman at MIT, I couldn't understand
why computer software had bugs and security faults. I thought that
computers were mathematical objects and, as such, that the algorithms
they ran had all be proven to be correct. I had the same confusion
when I encountered networking two years later.

These days, though, most people in our society get so much exposure to
buggy software, you would think that they would assume that programs
do not work as they are intended. Yet human wishfulness continues
along, and people expect their tools to be bug-free even when there is
plenty evidence to the contrary.