List:       sleuthkit-users
Subject:    Re: [sleuthkit-users] Installation Problems (and hello!)
From:       farmer dude <farmerduderl () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-02-09 4:43:52

Hi Stu,

> Basically, I cannot seem to get "sleuthkit"
> installed on my system.

The Sleuth Kit doesn't get installed on a system,
unless you use a pre-compiled package from someone
else.  A while back I used to build RPMs when I used
RH Linux for The Sleuth Kit so that the executables
would be copied to '/usr/local/bin', the man pages to
their respective directories, etc.

> read
> the INSTALL.txt and then typed "make".

The key in that file you read is:

"All tools will be compiled into the 'bin' directory.
All manual pages are located in the 'man' directory.
To always have access to the manual pages, add the
directory to your MANPATH environment variable. If you
would like the binaries to be placed in a common
directory, such as /usr/local/bin, then it must be
done manually."

So the file holds the key.  You must do it manually.
You could symlink them or copy or move them to where
you like.  Be careful to not overwrite existing
binaries.

cheers!

farmerdude

http://www.farmerdude.com/