List:       sisuite-users
Subject:    [sisuite-users] Simple interface for managing initrd images -
From:       "Kennedy, William" <William.Kennedy () infocrossing ! com>
Date:       2008-06-19 17:56:31

Greetings, list-

I have been hacking away at a Dialog/Xdialog interface for managing
SystemImager initrd images:
http://juddy.org/si_initrdtools-dialog_0.2.sh

I hope to use this on a current project, and in the interest of
everyone, I'm offering them to the community.

I would like to see more happen with this tool, perhaps with a more
capable interface.

Right now, the following is possible:

- Mount and verify an existing RAM disk image
- Copy the contents to a working area
- Modify the rcS and functions
- Recompress
- Create and compress a new initrd image of a specified size (5, 10, or
15MB) with the user-modified contents

Not yet complete:
- Create a new, merged ramdisk using the binaries and libs contained on
the host system along with the SI tools included in the donor initrd
- Zenity-based si_initrdtools: http://juddy.org/si_initrdtools_0.2.sh

BUGS:
- PLENTY!  Don't expect to sell a project based on the functionality
this tool provides!
- Some more bugs
- A few more that I haven't discovered yet.

More functionality can easily be added - everything is function-based,
bash script, and called from a dialog menu.  The syntax is the same for
dialog/Xdialog, and the detection is handled with the script, and with a
'-x' option for X.

- William Kennedy