List:       sisuite-users
Subject:    Re: [Sisuite-users] Missing operating system (!)
From:       dann frazier <dannf () dannf ! org>
Date:       2003-11-18 7:44:52

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 11:15:57PM +0100, jess michelsen wrote:

> Hi SIS-folks!
>
> Pulling an image to a new node, using an autoinstall diskette fails at
> th end of the 'filler up' (actually it seems all files were transferred)
> with the following output on the client:
> rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c (925)

just a guess, but you may have hit a non-fatal rsync error.  look back through
the install log for such an error.
(you can reduce the noise by removing the -v from the rsync command in
your master script).

> and on the servers (and dhcp servers) /var/log/messages:
>
> rsync:error transfer interrupted (code 11) at main.c (295).
>
> Hoping that there might afterall not be an error, I attempted to reboot
> the client. The only response was: Missing operating system.
>
> The golden client (and server) uses the grub loader.

SystemConfigurator still has trouble with grub - using lilo is recommended.

> Another question: when rsyncing - how excatly do I rsync the files, that
> require root privileges? After a few attempts with auth users and
> secrets file - which only resulted in the client not being able to
> rsync, I took the more robust approach (stricktly not safe of course) to
> add read rights to everyone for all files in the image, wherupon rsync
> could download everything until it eventually terminated.

the rsync daemon runs at root - if rsync is left open, anyone can retrieve
files regardless of ownership/permissions.