List:       sisuite-users
Subject:    Re: [Sisuite-users] ANNOUNCE: New version of pxeconfig utilities
From:       Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen () fysik ! dtu ! dk>
Date:       2003-08-11 6:47:41

Bas van der Vlies wrote:
> First of all we are used to our own pxeconfig tools ;-)
> Here are the main differences  between the systemimager 3 approach and
> ours:
>   - ) In the systemimager 3 setup there is a link for every succesful
>       installed host. If you have a huge cluster then there are a lot
>       of links. Try to find which host did not installed properly or
>       to reinstall a node you have to scan the directory and remove
>       the link.

Yes, I completely agree that the Systemimager 3.X design as you describe
is clumsy and must be reversed into 1 link per host *to be installed*,
and no links for properly working hosts.

>   - ) With our tools you can select which pxe config file to use, eg:
>       install a node, boot from hardisk or perform a memtest ... with
>       systemimager 3 there are two options install or boot from hardisk.

Yes, we need the ability to configure multiple PXE boot configurations.
Besides node reinstall we're also happy to be able to PXE boot into
the Memtest86 memory-tester, see details at
    http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/CAMP/Niflheim/diagnostics.html

>   - ) Our tools manage the pxelinux.cfg directory you can select what to
>       do. In systemimager 3 there is automatic imstallation method, but
>       there are no tools that manage the directory. You have to write
>       your own tools to eg. remove the links.

Yes, the pxeconfig tool "hexls" is indeed useful for listing the hex-encoded
IP-addresses in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg.

My conclusion: The Systemimager 3 PXE-installation tool should be redesigned
slightly so that it'll use the clever ideas of the pxeconfig package.
I would certainly opt to use pxeconfig with Systemimager 3.X !

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark,
Building 307, DK-2800 Kongens Lyngby, Denmark