List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    Re: [Sip-implementors] SIP to TEL conversion
From:       Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat () cisco ! com>
Date:       2009-03-20 14:38:39

Hadriel Kaplan wrote:

> [...]

I'd like to re-emphasize and expand what Hadriel is saying:

A server authoritative for the domain of the sip URI may do this, or
*any* conversion of the URI as it wishes.

But if you are *not* authoritative for the domain of the URI, then you
have no business doing this translation at all. Just because the URL
appears to contain a phone number does not mean you are permitted to do
the conversion. The conversion loses information and may not preserve
the intent of whoever supplied the URI.

For instance, it may be that its important that the connection be made
via sip. Once converted to TEL, subsequent routing may take it to a GW
and out of the sip protocol.

	Thanks,
	Paul