List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    [Sip-implementors] Is a SUBSCRIBE request ever fielded by a UA instead of a proxy?
From:       "Jeff Wright" <JWright () azteknetworks ! net>
Date:       2008-02-29 17:54:17

Hello,

I have a question regarding the SUBSCRIBE method.  Is there ever a
situation in which a SUBSCRIBE request would be sent from one UA to
another UA, instead of directed at a SIP proxy?  In other words, would a
UA ever be the target of a SUBSCRIBE request?  From what I understand, a
typical SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY transaction would involve a UA and a SIP proxy
server, for applications such as voicemail or presence.  In such cases,
the UA sends a SUBSCRIBE to the proxy for a specific event package, and
is subsequently notified by the server hosting the event package when an
internal state change requires notification of subscribers.  But is it
conceivable that a UA would ever host an event package itself, and
respond to SUBSCRIBE notifications directed at it?

Thanks in advance.  Hope my question makes sense.

Jeffrey D. Wright

System Test Engineering Manager

Aztek Networks, Inc.