List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    Re: [Sip-implementors] RFC 2543 compliance
From:       Richard <richard () astri ! org>
Date:       2007-10-26 1:43:23

Hi,

  I understand 3261 is 2543 compliance. However, it's hard to implement
certain features. For example, suppose a proxy is forking an INVITE into
two UAs, that are 2543 end points. The reply 200 OK messages have no
to-tag. How can I distinguish those two dialogs that are different in my
UAC because the dialog id (callid-fromtag-totag) is the same?

Regards,
Richard

Frank Shearar wrote:
> "Richard" <richard@astri.org> asks
>
>>    Do we need to consider the 2543 compliance in coding sipstack right
>> now? More specifically, null to-tag in 200ok response or null from-tag
>> in INVITE. Thanks in advance.
>>

> RFC 3261 was designed to be backwards compatible with RFC 2543, and mentions
> those parts of RFC 2543 which one needs to consider. For example, in section
> 17, where we have snippets like
>
>       This is a change from RFC 2543, where responses were always
>       retransmitted, even over reliable transports.
>
> and
>
>    If the branch parameter in the top Via header field is not present,
>    or does not contain the magic cookie, the following procedures are
>    used.  These exist to handle backwards compatibility with RFC 2543
>    compliant implementations.
>
> frank

This message (including any attachments) is for the named
addressee(s)'s use only. It may contain sensitive, confidential,
private proprietary or legally privileged information intended for a
specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are
not the intended recipient, please immediately delete it and all copies
of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it
and notify the sender. Any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of
this message and/or any attachments is strictly prohibited.