List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    Re: [Sip-implementors] session refresh, but without SDP ?
From:       Troy Cauble <troy () bell-labs ! com>
Date:       2005-08-24 13:58:34

B.Dutta,

Regarding "a change in SDP is not acceptable", this is
impossible to enforce with a re-INVITE.  Even if B sends
the offer, A can change it's answer.  From RFC 3264, section 8,

    However, the answerer MUST generate a valid answer
    (which MAY be the same as the previous SDP from the
    answerer, or MAY be different), according to the
    procedures defined in Section 6.

If a change is SDP is truely not acceptable and if you must
interoperate with UAs that don't enforce that policy,
you'd be better of using UPDATE for your session refreshes
or not using session timers at all.

-troy