List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    Re: [Sip-implementors] Limit for size of user-name part of SIP-UR I used in ReqURI, To, From etc.
From:       Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat () cisco ! com>
Date:       2005-06-28 12:50:42

Avasarala Ranjit-A20990 wrote:
> Hi
>     I don't think there is any limit as such on how long the user name can
> be. But usually the names are limited to a readable length.

Don't assume that!

There have been many proposals and scenarios where the user part of sip
URIs is used to encode arbitrary stuff. This could lead to particularly
long URIs.

About the only safe assumption you can make is that the length of the
user name will be less than the length of the message containing it. :-)

	Paul