List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    [Sip-implementors] Section 17.1.1.2, RFC 3261
From:       Idnani Ajaykumar-AIDNANI1 <Ajaykumar.Idnani () motorola ! com>
Date:       2005-02-28 17:09:24

Hi All,

I was reading section 17.1.1.2 of RFC 3261 and I had some basic questions, so I \
thought I will ask the experts.
1. What is the UAC supposed to do when it is in the Proceeding state and it does not \
receive any final response? The text in section 17.1.1.2 does talk about this case. \
Also when I look at the flow in Firgure 5, there seems to be no timer attached to get \
out of the 'Proceeding' state. There is one attached to 'Calling' (Timer B) and \
'Completed' (Timer D) states, but none to 'Proceeding' state. So are we saying that \
once you get into Proceeding state and the other end fails for some reason, the UAC \
is stuck.
Or is the figure inaccurate and it should really show a Timer B associated with one \
of the arrows coming out of that state? In which case my questions would be does a \
provisional response reset this timer? Otherwise an INVITE transaction would be \
constrained to 32secs assuming a T1 of 500ms (i.e. a call should go from 'Calling' to \
'Completed' in 32secs!
Appreciate your responses.

Thank you.
- Ajay