List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    RE: [Sip-implementors] Questions of large request message
From:       "Brett Tate" <brett () broadsoft ! com>
Date:       2005-02-22 23:01:52

> I have some questions about handling
> SIP msgs that are larger than 1300 bytes.
> RFC 3261, chapter 18 as listed, mentions
> that if request message is larger than
> 1300 bytes, it MUST be sent using TCP
> because of the meesage size constraints.
> But what should the proxy do when user
> registers to Proxy/Registrar with
> "transport=udp" or without "transport"
> parameter??

If I understand RFC3261 section 18.1.1 correctly,
the decision to send over UDP has already been
made.  This section provides an additional
mechanism to try using TCP towards the
ip-address and port chosen for UDP.

If someone thinks message size is part of
the RFC3263's NAPTR and SRV process, please
indicate where it is documented.