List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    RE: [Sip-implementors] Release vs Release Complete
From:       "Brett Tate" <brett () broadsoft ! com>
Date:       2003-01-28 15:58:39

> In a discussion on the International SIP
> conference in Paris there was a discussion
> about a extra message for indicating a "Release"
> (instead of Release Complete which is indicated
> with a "BYE") with a new message.
>
> I don't know if anything has been done there
> before. If not my proposal would be simple:
> Add another message called "RELEASE" with exactly
> the same behaviour and syntax like BYE but with
> the meaning that the "payment period" of the call
> is over.

Sounds like a candidate for a billing-status event
package.  Use SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY to commutate
the billing aspects related to a given dialog/session.

If the desire is to "release" a session but maintain
a sip dialog, sending re-INVITE's containing deleted
(or maybe inactive) media would also be required.