List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    Re: [Sip-implementors] Re: [Sipping] Standardizing the representation of SIP call flows using  XML.
From:       "M. Ranganathan" <mranga () nist ! gov>
Date:       2002-11-27 18:32:44

Not sure about the standardization body off hand. Maybe w3c (they like
xml). For this to make any sense it has to be standardized, maybe
language independent (I like java but that is a personal bias) and
widely adopted. So I am first getting a feel for the level of interest
and I want to invite participation. If  there is interest then I we can
get the ball rolling with a design, define the tags and primitives and
dtd etc. and think about a place to take it forward.

 You are right in your statements below. A proxy server is a service
(albiet a specialized one). Indeed we deployed a test service at

http://www.antd.nist.gov/sip-wit

which relies on a proxy and a xml based service container. It has some
warts and wrinkles but appeared to be a reasonable thing to do.

 In general I am suggesting a customizable user aget that takes an xml
script as an input. potentially this can work in conjunction with a
proxy server (there are several good server side solutions already) or
on a client and serve as a vehicle to quicky deploy extensions.

 I think it is possible to do this on the client side and especially
when combined with other client side technologies like plugins and html
browsers, you can quickly specify and deploy powerful extensions.

Regards

Ranga.

--
M. Ranganathan
N.I.S.T. Advanced Networking Technologies Division

tel:301-975-3664 fax:301-590-0932
http://w3.antd.nist.gov/index.html mailto:mranga@nist.gov
Advanced Networking Technologies for the people!