List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    Re: [Sip-implementors] more than one 2xx responses in proxy mode
From:       "Bob Penfield" <bpenfield () acmepacket ! com>
Date:       2002-02-22 14:04:26

----- Original Message -----
From: <Andras.Szeman@nokia.com>

> Hi!
>
> My question is about response processing in proxy mode. I used the line
numbering of bis08 here.

> (2846)
> Until a final response has been sent on the server transaction, the
following responses MUST be forwarded immediately:
>  - Any 2xx response
>
> (2859)
> After a final response has benn sent on the server transaction , the
following responses MUST be forwarded immediately:

> - Any 2xx response to an INVITE request
>
> (2868) .... one or more 2xx responses can be forwarded to an INVITE
request

> 17.2.1 INVITE Server Transaction
> (3439) .. -> if a server transaction receives a 2xx from TU is should pass
it to transport and then move to the "Terminated" state
>   where it must be destroyed.
>

> How can a server transaction forward more than one 2xx responses to an
INVITE request if it terminates after the first? Is it so , that the server
transaction dies after the first 2xx and then the TU should forward the
response statelessly, directly using the transport layer ?

The server transaction forwards the first 2xx. When the second arrives, the
client transaction delivers it to the proxy core (the TU). The proxy core
forwards the request upstream by passing it directly to the transport layer.

Remember the spec is just a model, as long as your software produces the
right externally visible behavior, you can implement it any way you like.

cheers,
(-:bob