List:       sip-implementors
Subject:    Re: [Sip-implementors] A SIP question?
From:       Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg () lmf ! ericsson ! se>
Date:       2001-04-30 6:27:59

Hi,

First, you must always ACK the final response to the INVITE, no matter
what it is, and no matter what other requests (ie a CANCEL to cancel the
INVITE) you have sent.

Second, currently it is allowed to send a BYE instead of a CANCEL. This
has also recently been discussed on the SIP mailing list, so you may
want to have a look in the archieves.

So, I guess your flow would look something like this:

UAC --INVITE----------> UAS
UAC --BYE/CANCEL------> UAS
UAC <--487(INVITE)----- UAS
UAC <--200(BYE/CANCEL)- UAS
UAC --ACK-------------> UAS

There are also some special scenarios, ie when a 200(INVITE) from the
UAS and a CANCEL from the UAC are sent at the same time. In this case,
if the UAC sends a CANCEL, and still receive a 200 final response, the
UAC shall ACK the final response and then send a BYE. If the final
response is non-200 the UAC only needs to ACK the INVITE.

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland