List:       sip
Subject:    Re: [SIP] Operlap dialing within a SIP network
From:       Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo () lmf ! ericsson ! se>
Date:       1988-01-01 17:41:38

Hello,

Mark Watson wrote:

> Gonzalo,
>
> I thought at the beginning of this thread Keith Robinson identified a
> number of fundamental flaws with the overlap mechanism in the draft.
> If I understood rightly, these were:
>
> 1) UAS behaviour on receiving multiple INVITES for new Call Legs of
> the same Call, but with different FROM and TO fields is undefined in
> the RFC

It is not defined because it does not need to be defined. Different
implementations will do different things. The RFC does not and MUST NOT
cover those situations.

For example, if I have multiple call legs in a gaming session, should
the RFC define what to do? In a conferencing environment the correct
behavior might be just to mix the media.

Anyway, a gateway will know what to do with multiple call legs that
carry more digits in the to field. If the entity receiving the INVITEs
is a UA it will not represent a problem either. The UA will process the
first INVITE and answer 484 or 404. Then, it will receive the 2nd and
try to process it. If there are nor enought digits, it will respond
again 484 or 404. If there are enough digits, the call will be
established. Thus, I do not see any problem here.

> 2) The UAC must use source routing to ensure that all these INVITES
> make it to the same UAS

What is the problem here? This is done in order to address the problem
of proxies performing load balancing. Some folks have pointed out that
maybe the betwork wants to route the second INVITE in a different way...
why the network would like to do that? The policy that is applicable to
the fist INVITE (that contained a prefix of the number) should be the
same that applies to the subsequent ones.

I do not think that the network wants that all the calls to numbers
begining by +1234 traverse proxy A, but if the prefix is +12345 should
traverse proxy B.

I do not see any real situation where the source routing performed here
might cause a problem.

> 3) 183 is used to transport the CONTACT of the UAS to UAC, but 183 may
> also cause a backwards ACM to be generated, cutting off further
> digits.

I said already that this will be clarified in the draft. However, this
has to do with the early media issue also.

> I may have mis-understood some of the points slightly, and there may
> be more.
>
> Overlap is a feature of the legacy PSTN - I don't think we need to
> kill ourselves making SIP support overlap in some kind of native way.
> Rather, a simple mechanism which allows consenting UAs to negotiate
> the direct exchange of overlap digits over a single Call Leg would be
> much better. It's not the same as SAMs because we can negotiate this
> mechanism to be used only once the UAS has been found. Until this
> point, calls without enough digits are killed right away with 484s.
>
> The price we pay for this is that intermediate proxies may not have
> access to the full Called Party Number - but a proxy that needs this,
> that wants to offer service on overlap calls, can always sniff the
> overlap digits as they go past.

Let me get this straight. Are you are proposing to change the logic in
all the already existing proxies because you want to provide services
when you use INFO for carrying SAMs? This is just impossible.

I still prefer a mechanism that do not require changes in the existing
proxies (multiple call-legs).

Best regards,

Gonzalo