List:       silc-users
Subject:    Re: silc-users Digest, Vol 78, Issue 1
From:       scuzi () ro ! ru
Date:       2011-08-07 21:55:40

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 14:17:41 -0700
> From: Brendan Miller <catphive@catphive.net>
> Subject: how to connect to silcnet with pidgin?
> To: silc-users@lists.silcnet.org
>
> I'm trying out silc for the first time.
>
> When I go to create a silc account in pidgin, it requires that I enter
> a password to use to connect to silcnet. However, I don't see anywhere
> on the silcnet website to register a user. Why does it require a
> password?
I think, it requires a password in case the silc server you are
connecting to is  a password protected.
If I try to connect without specifying a password, I get an
> error "unable to load SILC key pair."
check the location of the silc key pair on your computer.Maybe your
pidgin can not read from it.Or you have move it to somewhere else.It
happens with pidgin portable.

> Is there a step by step guide somewhere to explain how to connect to
> silcnet via pidgin?
I think there is.Search it.I've come across some of them.

> Also, I've set up a private silc server using silcd. How do I register
> users for that server? I would like a fixed set of people I know to be
> able to connect to my silc server, but to not allow random people on
> the internet to connect.
You can allow only people with specific keys to connect to the silcd or with
specific IPs or with both.
All is in the silcd configuration file.Read it.And set up the access
restrictions.