List:       silc-users
Subject:    [WEB REQ] How to generate keys - GAIM+SILC
From:       Shawn <nothingstrivial () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-03-10 17:30:44

>From what I've seen gaim will create the keys automatically if they do
not exist in the correct directory, at least on win xp&2k. But I have
had two different systems, both win2k and gaim 1.1.4, where gaim
wouldn't create the keys. No idea why, file perms and things like that
were not at fault.

I had to create keys on another windows box and copy them over to the
other systems. Once they were in the right place, gaim connected
without a problem.

The GAIM > Tools > Preferences > SILC page will show you the location
of where the two key files should exist.

As for the question about using ssh keys, not really sure there. The
silc private key is in a binary format where as ssh keys (pub and prv)
are ASCII (not sure if this is always the case, but I've only ever
seen ASCII keys for ssh). If ssh keys were to work with silc I would
think the prv key (and maybe the pub key as well) would have to go
through some sort of conversion at a minimum...