List:       silc-devel
Subject:    Re: Channel founder to be known or not?
From:       Pekka Riikonen <priikone () iki ! fi>
Date:       2005-09-29 17:43:03

: Hello, today I have have been told that channel founder is considered as
: private information to other people on silcnet and thus there is now way
: how to determine channel founder if he is not joined on channel and have
: * before name.
:
: The thing I would like to ask is whether there is any will or thought to
: make channel founder a non-private information. So there will be no
: problem in determining or searching of channel founder. I think is quite
: unreasonable forbidding people to know on whose channel they are on.
:
: Is there anyone who could explain me more deeply why it is like this,
: why it should or should not stay like this?
:
Founders by default are not permanent on channel.  If the founder leaves
the channel he will loose the founder status.  In this case, the only way
to determine who is the founder is to check users modes.  If there are no
one with founder mode in the channel, there is no founder on that channel.

To make the founder status permanent the channel mode +f must be set
(founder mode) on the channel.  In this case, every time you join the
channel the client will receive the founder information.  It is then
application specific issue whether to show who that is or not to show.
The information it receives is the founder's public key, not nickname or
other such information, as those may change.  Currently, SILC Client for
example, does not show who the founder is if he is absent from the
channel, even though it could do that.

Founder information is not private.  It's available when it is actually
available.

	Pekka
 Pekka Riikonen                                 priikone at silcnet.org
 Secure Internet Live Conferencing (SILC)       http://silcnet.org/